Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Garden Update

 We have loads of figs on our five fig trees. I have eaten two and they were delicious, and can hardly wait to have more ripen. Even the smallest trees have loads of fruit on each branch. Such easy plants, they don't seem to mind not getting watered regularly and show no signs of pests either.

 Late in the season I bought a small tomato plant and put it in a bin after pulling out the cucumbers. It is growing lavishly and has many green tomatoes.
 

We also are enjoying a second planting of green beans and the hyacinth bean vines are finally looking enthusiastic. What a great summer for the garden.

7 comments:

  1. Have you ever heard of Jamie Oliver's Baked Figs recipe? It's gorgeous! It's slow baked figs with the zest of clementines, sugar and cinnamon and eaten with bruschetta, goats cheese, walnuts and honey. I don't really like goats cheese so use a really lovely rich, salty cream cheese instead. You can find the recipe here: http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/jamie-s-baked-figs It's especially lovely at Christmas and fills the house with lovely aromas as it bakes for 4 hours on a really low heat. Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fig envy! Please reply to this comment...Want to see if I changed email here...having trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fixed it! And the fig envy is real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the garden poop! I've been wondering. Will your fig trees stay in their tubs for years? Please tell me again what size they are.

    maggie in Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoorah! Now I will bookmark. Soooo glad you are happy, and soooo glad the blog is 'all vack to normal'. I missed the dogs, Dave and the gardens. I do love the quilts, too--in fact, I own one. :))

    ReplyDelete